Oyo State has drawn the curtain on the search-and-rescue operation at the site of Tuesday’s explosion in the state capital, Gov. Seyi Makinde announced on Sunday in Ibadan.
At least five persons were killed, while 77 others were injured when the explosion occurred at Bodija, a residential area of Ibadan.
The impact of the explosion was said to have been felt as far away as 15km from the scene of the blast.
The explosion affected some structures at the state government secretariat and many other structures in the adjoining areas.
It also destroyed at least 10 cars and left about 30 houses at different stages of destruction in its track.
Oyo State government is interrogating a suggestion that the blast arose from explosives stored in Bodija by illegal miners.
Gov. Makinde stated on Sunday that 90 per cent of those injured in the explosion had been discharged from various hospitals.
He added that the state’s emergency operations teams headed by the Commissioner for Health, Dr Oluwaserimi Ajetunmobi, were at two of the hospitals attending to victims, up until Saturday.
He stated also that a clinical psychologist had begun counselling victims of the incident at the emergency operations centre located at the Oyo State Housing Corporation, Bodija, Ibadan.
Makinde said security agencies were still investigating the incident and an update on their investigation would be made public.
“Our administration remains committed to supporting all victims of this unfortunate incident and ensuring that everyone responsible is brought to book,’’ the governor assured.
He expressed gratitude to Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State for releasing operatives of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency to support Oyo State.
“Let me seize this opportunity to thank the Nigerian Society of Engineers that had been carrying out structural integrity tests on about 230 properties around the site of the explosion.
“The integrity tests will be carried out on 13 houses within 50 metres radius of the blast site and on 40 houses within 100 metres radius.
“Similar tests will be conducted on 122 houses at 200 metres radius and 53 houses within 250 metres radius of the explosion,’’ the governor stated.
Makinde enjoined concerned citizens to contact the Emergency Operations Centre on 07049948057 or 08147672009 on any issue related to the blast.